Shikha Kumar– An engineer by profession and an author by passion. She made an attempt to present her as an author with her debut novel “He Fixed the Match She Fixed Him”. Presenting a lively session with Shikha for my readers.
1) Welcome to SamataWelcomesYou. Before i Go ahead will request you to share with my readers you background and also who you are as a person apart from being an author.
I’m an IT Manager with TCS as a profession. I’m a graduate in Computer Engineering from Bharati Vidyapeeth College, New Delhi. I have no professional degree in writing nor do I have any such background. It all just occurred to me as divine plan maybe.
2) How writing came to your life?
I always cherished writing but mostly limited to myself. But slowly the craving kept mounting and finally I penned a story down which was knocking my mind from long.
3) who encouraged you to enter this world of authors?
When I had finished writing my manuscript, I took it a professional editor for an opinion. I think she was first one to make believe that it was good stuff.
My husband was very encouraging throughout. Then my parents were tremendous support. My brother and his wife were also very elated. Followed by close friends, colleagues.
4) Who is the one who for the first time noticed the spark in you to become an author?
5) Can You recall that day when you first penned down to start your journey in this world and what was that?
I actually just finished reading a bad novel which is one of bestsellers. And it just occurred to me that I can do much better job than this. I sat to write first page and then just kept on for 3 months whenever I got time. Don’t mean to sound pompous, but I sincerely think my work is finer quality and is high in content.
6) You are by qualification and profession an engineer then what provoked you to enter this world of books?
Alas! I had an answer. But good thing is I’m not the only one of my kind. There are many established fiction authors who are Science or Management students. So I guess if you have a story to tell and passion to write, background doesn’t really matter much.
7) Whats the difference between the life of an author and an engineer? How you are balancing both these roles?
Well they are entirely different roles for sure. Engineer has to be logical and ruled by mind, author on other hand needs to imaginative and follower of heart. So yes, living both roles is like having a split personality. But then again back to one of your previous questions; it’s all about passion.
8) How is your journey so far as an author?
It’s been beautiful. Because I knew my book will touch the hearts of people and it is keeping up to my expectations. Another good thing is that I have something new to talk about apart from my IT life. My friends and family are always very excited about my promotion plans and book reviews. And I also now have a new good-night story to tell my child.
9) You debut Novel “He Fixed the Match She Fixed Him” Is already in the market. What sort of response you are getting for it from your readers?
Response is very encouraging. Even when I just released sample chapter, the reviews were very satisfying. Having said that it’s little too early to make a concrete comment, but yes readers are sending me congratulatory mails which feels thrilling.
10) Will request to give a brief on the story
As blurb suggests it story of two highly qualified charismatic individuals tethered together. Story traverses through many facets of their relationships starting from all-hope-lost.
11) How the plot came into your mind?
It just kept brewing with time. All I knew I want to write a mature story yet entertaining and mass appealing. And I thought that topic I chose is not written much, so it’s unique in a way.
12) What sort of problem you faced while searching for the publisher?
It wasn’t easy and that too without any links in publishing industry; it was a hard task at hand. But then maybe story and I had it in our fate; it did interest four publishers. But yes it took about 6-8 months.
13) What next after this Novel?
Another novel next year maybe.
14) What are your other passions in Life?
I enjoy traveling and exploring new places. I love spending time with my family & friends. I’m confessed shopaholic too.
15) Where you see yourself 5 years down the line?
As an author who’s known for good reasons. My book being talked about in positive spirits among all age groups. To be satisfied of having done my bit in creating a better world.
Read more about Shikha Kumar Here